Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Slow and Steady

Last few days I am in great confusion on doing things fast and give a temporary solution & later work on the improvements. Some people will spend more time in design and get the things completed perefetly by doing once.

I have a personal experience. I was trying to get the customer conversion for our downloads for the past few months. I did not get perfect result till now(of course it is difficult to get 100% accurate results). But I saw one of our managers is able to get the results to some extent. I wanted to compare the results to get the perfection.

He was using a AU student to do this work for his product alone. I was trying it with a Er. Trainee. He is planning from the step one and designing it from the downloads/access and proceeding. I am trying it with the log data we have.

There is a big difference in both approaches. He is doing smart so that today he will not get the result but once he gets the result, he can get all the levels(coversion, lead time, source, etc.) In my case I may get the result for the source, but to get the other results, I have to put in more effort.

His approach is smarter and mine is working hard and get the result fast(but not accurate). The result was not even to the expectation. The difference is I will be getting the results for all the products, where as we have to run different instances for different products. The other difference is if he fails the effort put in will be less compared to mine. In both the cases we will not get the result for all the customers but the accuracy will be good for him.

No comments: